Time to Celebrate
Whether celebrating a special occasion or just enjoying quality time with friends, tasty, nutritious gluten-free appetizers make any gathering more memorable. Fancy, French (and festive!) names for appetizers include canapes, hors d’oeuvres, and amuse-bouche. They’re all similar ways to describe a small portion of food eaten before a meal to stimulate your appetite.
Appetizers come in many shapes and forms, though traditional appetizer recipes often include gluten. From meatballs and bruschetta to fried calamari and stuffed mushrooms, appetizers can often feel off-limits for those on a gluten-free diet. But cooking gluten-free versions of delicious appetizers for a party with friends and family is easy with a bit of prep and planning.
A gluten-free diet can make menu planning a bit more challenging, so whether you’re inviting guests over or attending a party hosted by a friend or family member who is not gluten free themselves, preparation is key.
Planning Makes Perfect
Spring and summer gatherings are a great way to spend time outdoors with friends and family while enjoying delicious, home-cooked food. And appetizers help get any party going.
Get involved in shopping and meal preparation to help ensure a safe, fun-filled event. Offer to help brainstorm gluten-free appetizer ideas or share a few of your favorites to prepare (read on for our go-to gluten-free appetizer recipes!)
Always check the labels of all ingredients that aren’t explicitly labeled “certified gluten free” and scan for gluten-containing ingredients like wheat, barley, rye and malt.
In addition to purchasing gluten-free foods, take extra steps to avoid gluten cross-contact. Be mindful of all potential sources of gluten exposure, from shared utensils to a poorly cleaned pan. Pre-wash all utensils and cutting boards that will be used for cooking or serving food. Thoroughly wash all dishes ahead of time and don’t forget to scrub the grill if you’re hosting a BBQ.
If you’re preparing both gluten-free and gluten-containing dishes, clearly label all workspaces, utensils and dishes. Post-it notes or masking tape will come in handy here! Ask to prepare gluten-free foods first - others in the kitchen are usually happy to accommodate.
When it comes time for serving, consider using disposable plates and utensils if you want to be extra safe. As an extra precaution, wait until the end of an event to throw away food packaging or labels just in case you need to double-check for any potential gluten-containing ingredients at the last minute.
Gluten-Free Appetizer Recipes
Roasted Beet White Bean Hummus
As easy as it might be to pick up a tub of prepared hummus at the grocery store, your guests will appreciate the gesture and flavor of this homemade roasted beet and white bean hummus.
- Start by roasting 1-2 pounds beets until tender, around 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Puree beets with 1 can white beans, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve with sliced veggies or Schär Gluten Free Table Crackers.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Pastry-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
If you’re looking to spice things up at your next party, try these pastry-wrapped jalapeno poppers using Schär Gluten Free Puff Pastry Dough.
- Start by slicing 12 jalapenos in half and removing the seeds.
- Next, beat together 8 ounces of cream cheese, ¾ cup shredded cheese, 2/3 cup chopped bacon, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the jalapeno halves then wrap them in slices of puff pastry dough.
- Place the poppers on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash then bake for 20 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Impossibly Easy Spinach Dip
Spinach dip is a party staple, and this recipe comes together in just 20 to 25 minutes.
- Start by cooking some carrots and onions until soft then add a 10-ounce package of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed to remove moisture).
- Stir in a cup of mayonnaise and a half cup of sour cream along with some gluten-free soy sauce and Worcestershire. Then add ¼ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Serve with Schär Gluten Free Table Crackers or chips for dipping.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Find more delicious and inspiring party recipes on the Schär website. You’ll be sure to impress your friends and family with all these delightful gluten-free appetizers.