Tips for Hosting
And throwing a seasonal festivity yourself is easier than it sounds - if you follow these tips!
- Set the expectations - Once you've settled on a date, send out invitations that specifically state you’re hosting a gluten-free event. Let guests know whether you will welcome any outside food or drink they may want to bring as a gift or to serve alongside your spread. Many will want to contribute to the festivities, so creating a list of “pre-approved” gifts they can consider can be helpful. Or, suggest that they bring flowers, holiday plants or other non-food items instead.
- Know your crowd - When requesting RSVPs, also ask guests if they have any additional allergies you should factor into the menu. If others on your list have celiac disease, let them know the details of your food safety precautions too. Remember they’ll be concerned about the same cross-contact risks you often are when attending parties outside of your home.
- Plan the menu - From chocolate and raspberry to cranberry and orange, the flavor profiles of holiday cookies are limitless. Opt for a diverse spread with a mix of fruit, chocolate and vanilla-based cookie flavors. Schär’s website is a great database for dozens of delicious gluten-free cookie recipes and inspiration.
- Label everything - Use small signs to label each cookie and state if it contains any common allergens, like nuts or dairy. Tip: fold an index card to create a small table tent so you don’t need to purchase additional supplies.
- Express understanding - know that even with high levels of planning and communication, some guests with celiac disease may remain hesitant to indulge in the cookies you offer. Make sure these guests feel included and consider offering festive gluten-free drinks like flavored seltzers or cranberry juice to make sure they still feel welcome.
A gluten-free holiday cookie party can be a delightful way to ensure everyone enjoys festive treats without fear of gluten contact.
Try these scrumptious gluten-free holiday cookies this season!
Holiday Recipe: Gluten-Free Tiramisu Ladyfinger Sandwich Cookies
Schär’s Gluten Free Ladyfingers make for tasty, festive ladyfinger sandwich cookies to celebrate the holidays.
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 3 ½ to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 boxes Schär Gluten Free Ladyfingers
- Cocoa powder, as needed
- Combine the mascarpone cheese, butter, heavy cream, coffee liqueur, vanilla, and espresso powder in a large bowl.
- Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until the frosting reaches piping consistency. Transfer into an icing piping bag.
- Arrange half the ladyfingers flat-side up on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Pipe the tiramisu frosting onto the ladyfingers then top each with another ladyfinger.
- Add a little piped frosting to the top of each cookie sandwich.
- Dust the cookie sandwiches with cocoa powder then chill until ready to serve.
Schär’s New Soft Cookies
Plus, when hosting remember you don’t need to bake everything yourself. The menu can include a mix of premade and homemade options.
Schär’s soft-baked cookies are delicious treats to complement any spread. Embrace comforting, seasonal holiday flavors and hints of spicy cinnamon with Schär’s Snickerdoodle soft cinnamon cookies. These versatile gluten-free cookies are rich and flavorful and offer the perfect touch of warmth to any cookie assortment.