What is Sourdough?
Health Benefits of Sourdough
Carbohydrates in sourdough are partially broken-down during fermentation. This means they have a lower impact on blood sugar and insulin levels than regular bread.
The yeast and bacteria in sourdough also neutralize phytic acid, a natural chemical found in typical wheat bread. Less phytic acid means improved absorption of minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc.
Sourdough also has more probiotic and prebiotic benefits. Prebiotics are indigestible fibers that feed healthy gut bacteria, called probiotics. During fermentation, the prebiotics in sourdough facilitate the growth of probiotics, which support healthy digestion.
Lactic acid bacteria in sourdough also play a role in producing beneficial compounds like antioxidants, anti-allergenic substances, and even cancer-preventive peptides.
The Schär Sourdough Difference
The sourdough process creates a delicious-tasting bread with a soft inside and crunchy crust. The lactobacilli in Schär’s sourdough partially break down the complex carbohydrates in gluten-free flour, meaning they are more easily digested and absorbed than traditional bread made with artificial yeast.
Sourdough fermentation also increases the bread’s acidity level, which naturally keeps it fresh longer. The fermentation process produces acetic acid which inhibits the growth of mold and acts as a natural preservative, extending shelf-life naturally.
Want to make your own gluten-free sourdough breads? Check out our article: https://www.schaer.com/en-us/a/gluten-free-sourdough-guide
Schär’s Sourdough Line-Up
Schär’s diverse array of breads offers many ways to enjoy sourdough.
● Artisan Baker White - Baked fresh and crafted with ancient grains like millet and quinoa plus a touch of honey. Never frozen, this bread is soft, irresistible and infinitely versatile.
● Artisan Baker Multigrain - With a hearty texture and all the goodness of honey, flax and sunflower seeds, this classic sourdough is an irresistible favorite.
● Artisan Baker 10 Grains & Seeds - This high-fiber sourdough is made with nutritious seeds like chia, pumpkin, flax and sunflower, plus a touch of honey for an amazing taste and hearty texture.
● Deli Style Sourdough - Traditional artisanal techniques and high-quality ingredients lead to a uniquely delicious New York style texture and taste. Certified low-FODMAP!
● Deli Style Seeded - The delicious flavor of our deli style bread with flax, sunflower and chia seeds provide another layer of texture and intrigue. Certified low-FODMAP!
● Rustic Loaf - Our new round, high-fiber sourdough loaf is made with ancient grains and is perfect from breakfast to evening. Dip it, slice it, or fill it! Toast it or tear it!
Remember...Traditional sourdough breads are not naturally gluten-free because they are made with wheat flour. Always read labels and ingredients lists to confirm bread is made with gluten-free flour.
Use the store locator to find Schär’s gluten-free products at your local grocery store or shop online at the Schär shop, where all orders over $49 receive free shipping.