Monthly e-newsletter serving the New England celiac and gluten-free community
We hope that you will join us for the Brains, Bellies and Celiac meeting on October 16th. Only a few seats remain so register soon!
By now, members and magazine subscribers should have received the Autumn issue of the Gluten-Free New England magazine. Don’t miss out; click here to join or subscribe.
Watch your mailbox for our fundraising letter. We count on your support to help newly diagnosed celiacs, people who need gluten-free food at food banks, celiac research and more. See later in this newsletter for details on ways you can donate and support NCA during celiac awareness month.
Yours in health,
Lee Graham, Executive Director
Brains, Bellies and Celiac Meeting
Brains, Bellies and Celiac will take place on Sunday October 16 from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Checkin will begin at 12:30pm.
The meeting will be at the Newton Marriott, 2345 Commonwealth Ave., Auburndale, Newton, MA.
Contact us if you have any questions about registration or the event.
Members and magazine subscribers, by now you should have received the Autumn issue of the Gluten-Free New England magazine. This edition features 10 Ways to Boost Your Breakfast with Veggies, Hyde Park Journey, Mimi’s Story and much more!
As always, we welcome your contribution to the magazine: be sure to send in your questions to Dr. Celia, MD., for information on celiac disease and a gluten-free lifestyle. Do you have a suggestion or contribution for an article? Let us know!
Monthly Group Meetings
Group meetings provide the opportunity to talk about managing celiac disease and living gluten-free. There are no set agendas, pre-registration is not required and there is no charge to attend. Just drop in!
Visit our Monthly Group Meeting event page for the full schedule and location of each meeting. Contact the group leader if you have questions about any of the group meetings.
- Attleboro, MA: October 11, 7pm
- Augusta, ME: October 13, 6pm
- Braintree, MA: October 25, 6:30pm
- Chicopee, MA: October 4, 6pm
- Dover, NH: October 4, 7pm
- East Greenwich, RI: October 18, 7pm
- Glastonbury, CT: October 5, 7pm
- Natick, MA: October 19, 10am
- Needham, MA: October 19, 7pm
- N. Dartmouth, MA: October 12, 7pm (Note new location!)
- Smithfield, RI: October 19, 7pm
- Westborough, MA: October 13, 6:30pm
Other Upcoming Events
Join Shilpi Ranjan of EZ Compliments for an Indian Cooking class in Andover, MA. She has many classes scheduled in October and November, all of which feature gluten-free fare.
Chef Oonagh Williams is doing Three Course Cooking Demos in Merrimack, NH on October 12, November 16 and December 14.
Chef Oonagh is also running Gluten-Free Cooking Classes in Milford, NH on October 13, October 27 and November 10.
A GF Oktoberfest is taking place in NYC on October 22nd. The menu features GF beer, cider, sausages, meatballs, pizza, pretzels and desserts.
The next NCA Advisory Board meeting will be on Monday November 14 at 7:30pm. Contact Lee if you would like to attend or would like more information about what happens during these insightful and spirited evening meetings.
Melinda Dennis MS, RDN, is hosting a Gluten-Free Wellness Retreat in Santa Barbara, CA February 3-5, 2017.
Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free in the News
- An article in Gluten-Free Living magazine reviewed Gluten-Free Meal Delivery services.
- A Medical XPress article discusses a study published in the American Journal of Physiology concerning gluten degrading enzymes derived from rothia bacteria, found in saliva, as a possible treatment course for celiac disease.
- Beyond Celiac summarizes a study published in Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics that found gluten exposure is common among celiac disease patients.
- This Fox News Health article discusses How to achieve a healthy pregnancy with celiac disease.
- This Science Daily article based on a Lund University study reports that the amount of gluten could be more important than the timing of introduction to gluten.
- Melinda Dennis, MS, RDN, has a new blog. Her first article discusses the benefits of amaranth.
- The Celiac Community Foundation of Northern California published this article about The Psychological Toll of the Gluten-Free Diet by Amy Burkhart, MD.
Gluten-Free Halloween Candy
Keep in mind that the gluten-free candy lists can be confusing. Did you know that only the 1.55oz size Hershey bars are gluten-free? Did you know that Reese’s peanut butter cups are gluten-free but the holiday shaped Reese’s peanut butter cups are not gluten-free?
We recommend that you read labels and contact manufacturers before consumption. Here are some GF candy lists you can check:
Annual Appeal and Other Ways to Give
As NCA launches our annual appeal, it is a great time to remind members, friends and supporters of some alternative ways to support NCA.
United Way Giving
For many people, this is the time of year where employers launch their annual United Way campaigns. When participating in a United Way campaign, you have the option to direct your gift to a specific not-for-profit. Please consider selecting NCA as your gift recipient.
Company Matching Program
NCA has been fortunate to receive several gifts from members which in turn have been matched by their employers. Most companies have their match program guidelines, including specifics regarding match giving available on the company intranet site, in an Employee Guidebook or inquire through your Human Resources Department.
Shop Through Amazon Smile
Support us when you shop this holiday season! Amazon Smile will donate a portion of your eligible purchases to NCA. Simply select National Celiac Association as your preferred charity or follow this link.
When considering these options, you may need NCA’s corporate information as follows:
National Celiac Association
P.O. Box 600066
Newtonville, MA 02460
Not-for-profit tax id: 16-1616413
Primary Contact: Elizabeth Graham, Executive Director, 781-461-2408 or email@example.com
The Gluten-Free Philly blog has a great recap of new products introduced at Expo East last week.
The Wall Street Journal ran an article about Gluten-Free Beers to Try – Whether or Not You Avoid Gluten.
Have you tried a new product or restaurant recently? Let us know so we can share it with others!
Recipe of the Month
Getting ready to cook? Snap a few photos of your recipe in process or the final yummy result, and submit them to be added to our website!
Congratulations to Jeff from Jamaica Plain, MA, who won the September giveaway, a copy of The Gluten-Free Table by Jilly Lagasse and Jessie Lagasse Swanson.
In October, you can win a copy of In Memory of Bread by Paul Graham.
To enter, simply send us an email with your name and mailing address by October 19.
Interested in becoming a sponsor of NCA? Click here