Monthly e-newsletter serving the celiac and gluten-free community
Hope you had a healthy and safe Halloween! NCA members, as you think about Thanksgiving preparations, you may wish to login to our website and read an article in the Fall 2014 issue of Gluten-Free New England providing step by step instructions for a delicious gluten-free Thanksgiving!
Yours in health,
Lee Graham, Executive Director
Brains, Bellies and Celiac Recap
We were able to add additional seating and accommodate all attendees at this exciting event on October 16th. Attendees enjoyed listening to the speakers, asking questions and sampling various vendor products.
NCA members may log in to our website to view or download the following resources:
- Tracy Punshon, PhD’s presentation, How is arsenic in rice affecting our health?
- FDA Rice Results
- Jocelyn Silvester’s presentation, Is Gluten-Free Good Enough?
- Dan Leffler’s presentation, Neurological Manifestations of Celiac
- Emma Clerx, Harvard student’s presentation, An Intern’s Perspective
- Wendie Trubow’s Big Bellies Don’t Lie presentation
Contact us if you have any questions about logging in to access this valuable information.
Monthly Group Meetings
Group meetings provide the opportunity to talk about managing celiac disease and living gluten-free. There are no set agendas, pre-registration is not required and there is no charge to attend. Just drop in!
Visit our Monthly Group Meeting event page for the full schedule and location of each meeting. Contact the group leader if you have questions about any of the group meetings.
- Attleboro, MA: November 8, 7pm
- Augusta, ME: November 15, 6pm
- Braintree, MA: November 22, 6:30pm
- Chicopee, MA: December 6, 6pm
- East Greenwich, RI: November 15, 7pm
- N. Dartmouth, MA: November 9, 7pm
- Glastonbury, CT: December 7, 7pm
- Natick, MA: November 16, 10am
- Smithfield, RI: November 16, 7pm
- Westborough, MA: November 10, 6:30pm
Other Upcoming Events
The NCA Advisory Board will meet on Monday November 14 at 7:30pm. Contact Lee if you would like to attend or would like more information about what happens during these insightful and spirited evening meetings.
Shilpi, of EZ Compliments, is running many gluten-free Indian cooking classes in November. Mention that you are a NCA member to get a $10 discount on registration.
You don’t have to travel to New Hampshire to see Chef Oonagh! She will be at the Kitchen at Boston Public Market on November 27 at 2:00 p.m. to show you how to turn Thanksgiving leftovers into tasty, affordable meals. This event is free, but pre-registration is required and should be available soon. Visit The Kitchen at Boston Public Market and click on Programs.
The next Gluten-Free North End Market Tour will take place on Saturday November 26.
SAVE THE DATE. The next Symposium, Celiac Disease: Medical Myths and Milestones will be held on Saturday April 1, 2017. Note the new date. More information to follow soon!
Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free in the News
- Did you see NCA Executive Director Lee Graham and Alessio Fasano, Director of the Celiac Center at MassGeneral Hospital, on Chronicle? Click here to watch if you missed it.
- Smith College now offers a gluten-free dining hall. Read about it here.
- The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center addresses the question, Is arthritis associated with celiac disease?
- This article gives tips for Becoming Your Own Advocate – What to do when your Doctor doesn’t get it.
- Dr. Dascha Weir from Boston Children’s Hospital Celiac Disease Department, wrote about 5 Things Parents Need to Know.
- Allergic Living magazine ran an article about Craft Brewmasters Who are Getting Gluten-Free Beer Right.
- Read the latest edition of Impact, the newsletter from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center. The feature article discusses the Risk of Gastrointestinal Cancer in Celiac Disease. It also discusses Gluten Removed/Reduced Beer.
- CDF’s newsletter, Insight, offers advice on 504 plans, recipes and more.
- Beyond Celiac’s newsletter features recipes from Chef Oonagh.
Annual Appeal and Other Ways to Give
As NCA launches our annual appeal, it is a great time to remind members, friends and supporters of some alternative ways to support NCA.
United Way Giving
For many people, this is the time of year where employers launch their annual United Way campaigns. When participating in a United Way campaign, you have the option to direct your gift to a specific not-for-profit. Please consider selecting NCA as your gift recipient.
Company Matching Program
NCA has been fortunate to receive several gifts from members which in turn have been matched by their employers. Most companies have their match program guidelines, including specifics regarding match giving available on the company intranet site, in an Employee Guidebook or inquire through your Human Resources Department.
Shop Through Amazon Smile
Support us when you shop this holiday season! Amazon Smile will donate a portion of your eligible purchases to NCA. Simply select National Celiac Association as your preferred charity or follow this link.
When considering these options, you may need NCA’s corporate information as follows:
National Celiac Association
P.O. Box 600066
Newtonville, MA 02460
Not-for-profit tax id: 16-1616413
Primary Contact: Elizabeth Graham, Executive Director, 781-461-2408 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gluten-Free Watchdog recently tested Simply Nature Organic Green Lentils, which are labeled “naturally gluten-free,” after a consumer found foreign grain mixed in. Read more here.
Be aware that freekah is a type of wheat and not a safe grain for celiacs. Read about freekah here.
A member recently found a variety of new Gluten-Free products at Trader Joe’s including Gluten-Free Pizza Crusts, Grainless Granola, and Rice Cracker Medley.
- Saffron Road has some new gluten-free microwaveable meals including Lemongrass Basil Fish with Rice Noodles and Sesame Ginger Salmon with White Rice.
- Popcorners has a new look and has introduced Popcorner Minis in Double Up Fudge and Snickerdoodle Drizzle flavors.
- Two new products include Crinkles, available in flavors such as Big Ol BBQ and Mom’s Sour Cream and Onion and Bean Crisps, available in flavors such as Cha-Cha Chili and Saucy Salsa.
Recipe of the Month
Getting ready to cook? Snap a few photos of your recipe in process or the final yummy result, and submit them to be added to our website!
Congratulations to Michele from Boston, MA, who won the October giveaway, a copy of In Memory of Bread by Paul Graham.
This month, you can win a copy of You Won’t Believe It’s Gluten-Free! by Roben Ryberg.
To enter, simply send us an email with your name and mailing address by November 18.
Interested in becoming a sponsor of NCA? Click here