|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 1-2/3 cups egg whites or ½ cup dried egg whites + 1½ cups water
- 1 cup GF flour, sifted
- 1-1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Set egg whites out about 1 hour ahead.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then sift flour and set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, slowly beat whites until foamy then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat on high speed and slowly sprinkle in sugar until whites are stiff and stand in peaks (about 2 ½ minutes).
- Add vanilla. Continue beating but slowly and sprinkle in ½ the flour. Stop beating, then using a rubber spatula, fold in the rest of the flour.
- Gently push batter into an ungreased 10” tube pan. With spatula, cut complete square through batter without removing spatula. Bang once or twice on counter to remove any bubbles.
- Bake 35 minutes or until done. Immediately invert pan. Leave until cool, then remove from pan. I found an old vodka bottle and set upside down cake fitted over the top to cool. Worked great!
Dried egg whites can be found in bakery aisle of grocery store.