|Cook Time||2 hours|
- 1-1/2 lbs steak tips
- 1/4 cup GF flour
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup vermouth
- 1 bottle Beefamato juice or ½ bottle V-8 Juice & ½ bottle beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bag small red potatoes, quartered optional
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered
- Cut steak tips into bite size pieces. Dry with paper towels then shake meat pieces in plastic bag with GF flour spiced with salt and pepper.
- In hot Dutch oven with olive oil, brown meat. Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Remove meat and garlic, and deglaze pan with vermouth. Scrape all the bits loose from the pan.
- Put meat back into Dutch oven and add Beefamato juice, enough to cover the meat. Then add the red wine and bay leaf. Place in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add potatoes and cook another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown onions, celery, and carrots in a little olive oil until caramelized. Put aside. Sauté mushrooms until slightly brown.
- Add all vegetables to the stew and bake for approximately 30 more minutes. When carrots are tender, the stew is ready. Remove bay leaf before serving.
If gravy seems too watery, stir in mixture of ¼ cup cold water and 2 Tbsp corn starch. If gravy seems too thick add more wine/beef broth or Beefamato juice. Freezes well.