This is a velvety smooth soup that feels good on a cool day. I serve it with salad and Parmesan crostini.
- 3 cups GF chicken broth could almost use another cup to thin later
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped about 2 pounds
- dash garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 TBS butter
- 4 TBS GF flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1 TBS GF Worcestershire sauce
- In a large saucepan, mix chicken broth, onion, broccoli, garlic powder, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove bay leaves and pour mixture into a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
- In the original saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt and a little pepper until a thick paste forms. Add milk and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Add cheddar, red pepper and Worcestershire sauce; stir until cheese dissolves.
- Pour in broccoli mixture and cook until blended. If necessary, add more chicken broth to thin. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over additional steamed broccoli pieces. (optional)