- 4 egg yolks save whites for later
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
- fresh raspberries or blueberries, for garnish
- mint, for garnish
- Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, 1/4-cup sugar, and lemon zest in a large bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium mixing bowl until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4-cup sugar gradually and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Whip the cream in a bowl until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites and whipped cream gently into the egg yolk mixture.
- Spoon into a bowl. Freeze, covered with foil, for 8 hours or longer.
- Let the mousse stand in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Spoon into 12 dessert dishes and garnish with fresh berries and a spring of mint.