- 1 stick butter divided in half
- bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup GF flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheese Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Smoked Gouda, etc.
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 32 oz bag of frozen thawed shredded potatoes
- 3/4 cup soft GF breadcrumbs
- Spray with Pam a regular 9”x13” casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees,
- Over medium high heat, let 1/2 stick of butter melt and then add scallions. Cook for 1 minute.
- Once scallions are soft, add the GF flour. Stir until well incorporated. Then add milk and chicken broth. Stir until it's thick, and when it begins to bubble, add the cheese.
- Continue stirring, and once this is thick, add a pinch of cayenne, salt, and pepper. Then add the bag of potatoes. Mix together and pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Soften the remaining 1/2 stick of butter. In a large bowl, mix butter and GF breadcrumbs. Distribute evenly over the top of potatoes. Put in oven for one hour.
To make ahead:
Do not thaw potatoes. Add them frozen to the casserole. Cover and refrigerate. Next morning add the breadcrumb mixture and bake as above.