- 1-1/4 cups GF gingersnap cookie crumbs if omitting nuts, increase crumbs to 2 cups
- 3/4 cup ground English walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves or allspice
- pinch salt
- 1 qt vanilla ice cream slightly, softened
- sweetened flavored whipped cream or Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup crystallized/candied ginger, coarsely chopped optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare crust: In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, nuts and sugar, mixing well. With pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles course pebbles.
- Evenly press mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate forming a standing ridge.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly.
- Prepare filling: In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, and spices. Beat at medium speed with electric beater for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in ice cream and crystallized ginger. Spoon into cooled baked crust. Freeze for at least 12 hours.
- To serve: Let stand at room temp for a few minutes, then cut into wedges. Garnish each serving with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of chopped crystallized candied ginger.