- 1 GF angel food cake
- 1 lb strawberries half for filling, half for decorating
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- boiling water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- mint, for garnish
- Cut a 2-inch deep slice across the top of the cake. Remove the piece and reserve. Cut a bowl from the interior of the cake, leaving walls and bottom of cake at least 1 inch thick; you’re creating a cavity for the filling.
- Dice 1 cup strawberries. Soften gelatin in 1Tbsp cold water. Mix with 2 Tbsp boiling water until dissolved. Add to strawberries.
- Whip cream with powdered sugar. Stir in vanilla.
- Place half the whipped cream in a bowl and fold in strawberries. Reserve remainder of whipped cream for frosting.
- Fill the cavity of the cake with strawberry/whipped cream mixture. Place circle back on top of the cake.
- Let sit in refrigerator for an hour, then freeze. Once frozen, cover with remaining whipped cream.
- Remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving. Place on platter. Decorate around the base with strawberry halves and fresh mint.