- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed, cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 lb wax beans, trimmed cut in half crosswise
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed, and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, minced, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes and drained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Set up a large bowl of ice water. Add the fresh beans to the boiling water, and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and plunge the beans into the ice water to stop the cooking and set their color. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans and the onion.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar, oil, and salt to a simmer. Pour the liquid over the beans.
- Marinate the beans at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing several times.
- Just before serving, season with salt and pepper to taste, add the parsley. Serve.