Gluten Free Holidays
We hope you enjoy our gluten-free holiday themed articles. We have a collection of Gluten-Free holiday recipes from NCA Executive Director, Lee Graham. We also have Gluten-Free Thoughts at Hanukkah by NCA Membership Chair, Sherryl Radbil.
We need your help to make our annual appeal the best ever. Many thanks in advance!
Webinars and Podcasts
- Watch the Myths and Facts of Gluten-Related Disorders here: Part 1, Part 2
- Learn about GF food labeling here.
- Listen to Dr. Alessio Fasano discuss gluten here.
- Beyond Celiac’s Bold Beyond Research Symposium can be seen here.
- This video features Peter Green, MD, Director of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, discussing what makes people allergic to gluten.
- Watch Chef Oonagh make gluten-free cornbread stuffing.
Product Finds & Dining Out Tips
- Treat has gluten-free cookie dough in stock for the holidays. If you aren’t near one of their stores, you may be able to find GF cookie dough by Pillsbury, Immaculate Baking Company or Sweet Loren’s in your grocery stores refrigerated section.
- Cruise Critic has these tips for passengers wishing to cruise gluten-free
- A new gluten-free beer is available in Western Pennsylvania.
- California Pizza Kitchen now offers a GF cauliflower crust.
Visit the event calendar on our website to see what events are happening in your part of the country. Know about an event that we don’t have on the calendar? Please let us know so we can share it with others!
Recipe of the Month
This is rich and decedent. Can’t eat this every night although you might want to! Heats up well the next day if there are any left overs!
Ask The Dietitian (NEW)
Do you have unanswered general nutrition questions about the gluten-free diet and lifestyle?
Melinda Dennis is NCA’s Senior Dietitian Consultant and is happy to answer them. Look for answers on the website and in the following month's e-newsletter.
How to send your questions:
Please submit questions that are applicable to a general gluten-free audience. We regret that personal clinical questions (medical history, labs, supplements, etc.) cannot be addressed.
Time allowing, every effort will be made to answer submitted questions by the next month’s e-newsletter but may be delayed.
Questions related to children or teens (17 years old and under) will be sent to clinicians at Boston Children’s Hospital and may require more time.
What Celiacs Need to Know
NCA held What Celiacs Need to Know on Sunday October 29th. Endocrinologist Partha Sinha discussed maintaining a healthy skeleton. Harvard University student Emma Clerx shared insight from her internship this past summer. Nutritionist Melinda Dennis provided a summary of current topics including arsenic, probiotics and non-responsive celiac disease.
Celiac Disease and GF in the News
- The FDA has announced draft guidelines for labeling gluten in drugs!
- A Norwegian study claims that fructans are responsible for gastrointestinal symptoms suffered by people with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Read about it here
- Researchers at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital have produced a draft cell atlas of the small intestine.
- This article addresses the question, Is Plant-Based the New Gluten-Free?
- Have you ever had a difficult time explaining what gluten is? Here is a detailed article for you to reference.
- Read an abstract from a study on the overlapping area of non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wheat-sensitive irritable bowel syndrome here.
- Here are some tips to help you recover if you’ve been accidentally glutened.
- Slides and audio from a discussion of personal gluten and allergen detection devices may be found here.
- An allergen friendly baker used Google’s artificial intelligence to create a gluten-free cookie.
- This article looks at the link between anxiety, depression and the gut.
- This article looks at celiac, food allergies and fatigue.
Gluten-Free Seal Recognition Program
Product Recalls & Alerts
Hot Pockets Four Cheese Snack Bites
Nestle has recalled Hot Pockets Four Cheese Snack Bites due to undeclared allergens including wheat. These products were not sold in retail stores. See the recall notice here.