Help For Hurricanes
Thank you for your generosity in helping the National Celiac Association (NCA) get gluten-free food to people in Texas who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey. Now we are turning our attention to Hurricane Irma and the people in Florida and elsewhere that need help in its wake. Please consider donating to our Hurricane Irma fund below. All donations will be used to get gluten-free food to the affected areas.
Visit the event calendar on our website to see what events are happening in your part of the country. If you are in the area of Eastern Massachusetts, we’d love to see you at two upcoming events.
- Let’s Talk About Food Festival will take place at Copley Square in Boston on September 23. The festival lets participants dive into the most important food conversations and debate what’s happening in society today. Through hands-on cooking demonstrations, edible gardens, and more, participants explore how to take advantage of the food around them by cooking better and eating healthier.
Executive Director Lee Graham will be on stage for a panel discussion.
- We will have volunteers at the Endless Table for attendees with questions and an NCA booth. Click here for more information about the Let’s Talk About Food Festival
- On October 29th, NCA will be holding its Fall Event in Norwood, MA. This event will feature presentations by Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN, endocrinologist Partha Sinha, MD and intern Emma Clerx from Harvard University. 6 vendors will be present and beverages will be served. Registration will open next week at www.nationalceliac.org.
Back to School
If your child requires a gluten-free diet, we suggest you review our free resource, tips and downloads.
GF Dining Out Tips
- A member found that IHOP puts pancake batter in their egg mixture and recommends that people who can’t eat gluten ask for freshly broken eggs to avoid contamination.
- Papa John’s recently introduced a gluten-free pizza but please note that Papa John’s states that this pizza is not safe for celiacs. Read about it and other chain restaurants offering gluten-free pizza crusts here.
- You can find the 2017 GF Beer Guide here.
- Trying to figure out what ice cream you can enjoy? Here is a list of GF ones!
- Pamela’s Products now has GF pasta made from rice flours and pea protein.
- Knorr Selects rice and risotto products are labeled gluten-free and available in flavors such as asiago cheese & cracked black pepper, rustic Mexican rice and beans and spinach and artichoke rice.
Glutino has introduced fudge Italian crème and mint fudge Italian crème filled cookies.
Whole Foods has GF pumpkin spice bites, described as pumpkin pie spiced apple filled snacks.
Goodie Girl has new fudge striped cookies.
Schar has released a new Italian crostini product baked in Italy.
Webinars and Podcasts
Concerned about the gluten in your communion wafer? Watch Dr. Alessio Fasano discuss this below.
Recipe of the Month
Double Apple Rice Cereal Muffins
September brings thoughts of apples. Try this low calorie muffin that is delightfully dense and filling.
Members and magazine subscribers, watch your mailboxes for the Fall 2017 issue of Gluten-Free Nation magazine to arrive any day now. This issue features articles on Gluten-Free in Sicily, School Lunchbox ideas, Medical and Science News, Recipes and stories. Members can also view the magazine on our website
See Our Ad Running In Times Square
Celiac Disease and GF in the News
- Gluten-Free Watchdog Tricia Thompson has been leading the charge to get the FDA to enforce the gluten-free labeling laws. Read the latest updates here. Support the petition by commenting here.
- The International Celiac Disease Symposium (ICDS) took place in India from September 8 – 10, 2017. Read a summary here.
- See the latest newsletter from Mass General Hospital for Children’s CDGEMM (Celiac Disease Genomic, Environmental, Microbiome and Metabolomic) study here: Newsletter. They are still recruiting; visit www.CDGEMM.org for more information about the study.
- Dr. Ramnik Xavier talks about the effort to use spare computing power to map the human biome here.
- Feeling Isolated? Read this article titled Celiac Isolation… Is it Inevitable?
- Here is a roundup of GF beauty products. Unless you have a dermatological reaction, we believe that you really only need to concern yourself with finding gluten-free cosmetics such as lipstick. Be sure to keep your mouth closed when you are shampooing!
- This JAMA article by Maureen Leonard, MD, provides a review of the clinical management of celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Here is an interview about this with Dr. Leonard.
- Jessica Madden, MD provided this summary from the Lancet. Here is the full text if interested.
- This article, The Gut-Skin Axis: The Importance of Gut Health for Radiant Skin, talks about the connection between skin problems and gut issues.
- This Self article discusses non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
- This article cites a study proclaiming that gluten-free products are not as healthy as conventional.
- If you need another reason to travel to Italy, here it is – a perfect GF pizza crust!.
- Here is a list of the top 50 GF blogs.
- The current issue of Gluten Free & More discusses the best GF pasta brands and gives tips for a safe GF Halloween.
- GIG’s latest magazine, Celebrate Gluten-Free, is available here.
- View the latest issue of Simply Gluten-Free magazine here
Gluten-Free Seal Recognition Program
Following the dissolution of CSA earlier this year, NCA will be continuing the valuable Gluten-Free Recognition Seal Program. When products display the Recognition Seal, customers are assured they are choosing a product which has undergone the most stringent third-party gluten-free certification available for product, processing and packaging.
Live GFree Gluten Free Classic Soft White Hamburger Buns
- Expresco Foods has recalled chicken skewers due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Read about the recall here and view sample labels here.
- Blossom Foods has recalled frozen meat (beef, chicken and pork) products due to undeclared allergens (soy and wheat). Read about the recall here and see labels here.
- Demakes Enterprises has recalled chicken sausage due to undeclared allergens (milk). Read about the recall here.
- Fair Oaks has recalled Breakfast Best Sausage patties due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Read about the recall here and see sample labels here.
- Missa Bay has recalled Chicken Caesar Salad sold at Cumberland Farms due to undeclared allergen (wheat). Read about the recall here and see sample labels here.
- Kenosha Beef has recalled JP O’Reilly Burger Patties due to undeclared allergen (milk). Read about the recall here.
- Hahn Brothers has recalled ready-to-eat ham products due to undeclared allergen (barley). Read about the recall here and view a sample label here.
Congratulations to Francine from Oxford, MA and Maria from Aurora, CO who won last month’s giveaway, copies of No Sacrifices Entertaining Gluten-Free by Ellen Fox.
This month, you can win a copy of Gluten Free The Definitive Resource Guide by Shelley Case BSc, RD.
- We had the opportunity to review this book and found it to be very thorough. The first chapter covers celiac disease, dermatitis herpetiformis and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The book then goes on to discuss the gluten-free diet, providing not only an overview but also detailed information about oats, alcohol and ingredients that are often questioned.
Shelley Case also covers nutrition on a gluten-free diet including specific areas of concerns as well as suggestions for high nutrient foods. This book provides almost 50 pages of gluten-free recipes; with autumn upon us, I am eager to try Shelley’s Orange Cranberry Muffins and Carrot Apple Energy bars. There is something for everybody in the recipe section. She covers meal planning, shopping, cross contamination and more.
To enter, simply send us an email with your name and mailing address by September 25th.